When it comes to experiencing the full range of flavors that Connecticut’s local food offers, nothing beats simplicity. This delicious panzenella (a Tuscan-style salad comprised of tomatoes and bread) brings out the richness of its components, and it’s easy to make, too! And if you want to see it being prepared with delicious Wave Hill Breads (from Norwalk, CT), don’t forget to watch Chef Plum in action in episode 8 of Edible Nutmeg on the Road!
- 1 pint mixed tomatoes (of any kind), cut into small pieces
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- ½ cup fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Touch of olive oil for brushing bread
- Salt and pepper
- Brush both sides of baguette slices with olive oil. Grill or toast, flipping bread, until both sides are lightly browned and crispy.
- Combine diced tomatoes and cucumbers in a mixing bowl, then add basil and mozzarella cheese.
- Add oil and vinegar to the bowl and toss.
- Cut toasted bread slices into rough cubes and add to bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, toss a second time, and serve.