This is a deliciously decadent way to combine and enjoy some of Connecticut’s best seafood with one of Black Hog Brewery’s unique local beers. For more details and to experience a bit of the brewery, be sure to check out our visit to Black Hog in the first episode of Edible Nutmeg on the Road!
- Loaf of crusty bread, sliced
- 2 dozen clams
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of Black Hog Brewery’s “Ginga’ Ninga” beer
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Grill the sliced bread. Rub garlic cloves onto bread and finish with drizzled olive oil.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and add chopped bacon. Once the bacon is cooked, remove and set aside. Do not discard bacon fat that remains in the pan.
- Add shallots, garlic, and ginger to pan and saute for about 30 seconds at high heat, then add clams and beer. Cover for about 4 minutes. check the clams and make sure all are open; any that are still closed should be discarded.
- Remove clams from the pan to a bowl.
- Add butter to the remaining sauce in the pan. Stir until butter is fully emulsified.
- Pour the sauce over the clams. Sprinkle bacon, parsley, and tarragon over the clams and garnish with toast.
> Black Hog Brewery: 115 Hurley Rd., Building 9A, Oxford; 203-262-6075; blackhogbrewing.com